Aleksander Putra was born on August 5, 1888 in Żubrynek in the commune of Koniecbór in the Suwałki poviat (currently the commune of Raczki) in the family of Jan and Antonina née Siemion, the farmers. He was married twice: with Zofia née Pojawska (marriage 1921, she died in 1941) and Władysława Kryszpin (marriage in 1947). He had six children - Lucjan, Maria, Tadeusz, Zdzisław, Wanda and Wiktor. He attended the Russian government junior high school in Suwałki. As a fifth-grade student, on December 18, 1905, together with a group of several dozen people, demanding teaching in Polish, he forced the teachers of a two-class school in Raczki to stop classes. He was arrested, imprisoned and removed from school. After three months, just before Easter 1906, he left prison, but remained "under court as accused of interrupting teachers in school lectures." At the trial, which took place in Augustów on November 28, 1906, "for disturbing public peace," he was sentenced to 7 days in prison.
He continued his education at the newly established School of Commerce in Suwałki. He graduated in June 1909 and went to Krakow. Here in 1909-1912 he attended the Agricultural College at the Jagiellonian University and on February 6, 1913 he passed the agricultural exam. During the entire stay, he belonged to the Shooters Association with other Suwałki soldiers. After returning to the Suwałki region, he worked until the outbreak of World War I as an instructor at the Suwałki Agricultural Society.
During the war he worked with his father on a family farm. In 1918, he co-founded the Polish Military Organization and became its commander in the Suwałki District. He used the nickname "Budrys" at the time. He participated in the work of the Provisional Citizens' Council of the Suwałki District as head of the economic section. In February 1919 he joined the Legislative Sejm of the Second Republic of Poland from a non-party national list. During his term of office, he joined the parliamentary club of the Polish People's Party "Piast". Putra was a member of the Party's commune and poviat authorities. In the years 1931–1935 he belonged to the People's Party, but he made a bid not to comply with the resolution to boycott parliamentary elections.
From the mid-1920s, he was the head of the District Association of Agricultural Circles, he was also a member of the provincial and central authorities of the Society of Agricultural Organizations and Circles. From 1929, he belonged to the management board of the Municipal Savings Bank in the Suwałki Poviat and was a member of the Suwałki poviat parliament, poviat school council. In 1938 he chaired the committee for the construction of an agricultural school in Dowspuda. As a result of the land reform in 1920, he received 43 hectares of land for a fee in Koniecbor, where he built a magnificent house, in the style of a manor house. He also intervened in the case of a falling farm in the village of Szkocja.
In 1937 he was awarded the commemorative Cross of Independence. During the Nazi occupation he was associated with the Union of Armed Struggle - Home Army. Threatened with arrest, from May 1941 until the end of the war he hid, among others in Żubrynek, Choćki, Lipowo, and Podwysokie. After the war, he started to work at the agricultural school in Dowspuda. He worked here from 1945 to 1952 at the State Four Class Agricultural High School, and then at the State Technical Secondary School of Agriculture. He enjoyed great respect among students and colleagues, at the same time, for political reasons, he had great difficulties in his daily work.
He undertook post-war political activity in the "Lublin" People's Party. In September 1945 he became a councilor of the Municipal National Council in Koniecbor. In October, he joined the Polish People's Party led by Stanisław Mikołajczyk. He participated in the work of the Poviat National Council in Suwałki, and in February 1946 he joined the Disciplinary Commission. On March 17, 1946, at the first poviat congress of the Party in Suwałki, he was elected to the poviat board and took the office of vice president. As part of an action carried out by the communist authorities to discredit the PSL in connection with the case of the Suwałki Division of the Freedom and Independence Association (WiN) he was arrested on May 15 on charges of illegal storage of weapons. Two weeks later, the authorities dissolved the Poviat structures of the Party. After being released from prison in July 1946, Putra gradually withdrew from political life. However, at the end of 1950, he was arrested again as a suspect in hostile propaganda, and in 1952 he was removed from teaching.
From September 1956 he worked at the State Farm in Czartajewo near Siemiatycze. He returned to Koniecbór in 1958 where he ran a farm. He did not receive retirement benefits for political reasons. As a result of an unfortunate accident while working on his own farm, Putra died on July 13, 1962 in Suwałki. He was buried at the parish cemetery in Raczki. The street in Suwałki is named after him, as well as the square next to the cultural center in Raczki.